Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Album Review: Madonna - MDNA

Madonna's 12th studio album MDNA offers some familiar futuristic EDM sound with a touch of Madge. This could sound like her previous work Hard Candy, when all artists at the time were aching to be Timbalandised. As Madge is known to cope with trends very well and can transform into what is relevant, she manages to score an album with today's sound - electronic dance music. Working with producers like Benny Benassi, Martin Solveig, Ray of Light collaborator William Orbit, among the few, Madonna proves yet again why she has the staying power in the business. However, for fans as myself, I feel the album does not deliver a seemingly come-back attempt from a 4-year hiatus, and also that hope for a Ray Of Light ish smash album also dissipated. 

The concept of MDNA, in reference to MDMA drug, or an abbreviated version of Madonna, or Madonna DNA rocked my brain for a couple of months. Those months I have anticipated that she will deliver an in-your-face album to all of the princesses threatening her of her Queen of Pop throne. But to no avail, I feel that she wasn't able to do so. Perhaps with album sales, she did prove her loyal following. But as a loyal follower myself, I feel she has again succumb to the pressures of the post-GaGa pop world. I was hoping she would be setting new trends and not trying to prove why she is the queen. Although some good tracks were produced, there are no tracks sounding they could pass the test of time. But it might be too early to judge so let's see.

On a lighter note, I want to highlight some of the tracks that are worthy listens: Gang Bang sounds like a sequel to Revolver and its video could only be aptly directed by Quentin Tarantino; other tracks like I'm Addicted (where she repeatedly sings MDNA then it turns out to be MDMA in the end), Turn Up The RadioI Don't Give A comply to today's standard of what an EDM-inspired track should be. Another track that sounds like her previous hits: Beautiful Stranger for I'm A Sinner; and Ray of Light for Beautiful Killer. Do check out the deluxe edition, as it has some great add ups.


Track list

01. Girl Gone Wild
02. Gang Bang
03. I'm Addicted
04. Turn Up The Radio
05. Give Me All Your Luvin'
06. Some Girls
07. Superstar
08. I Don't Give A
09. I'm A Sinner
10. Love Spent
11. Masterpiece
12. Faaling Free

Deluxe:

01. Beautiful Killer
02. I Fucked Up
03. B-day Song
04. Best Friend
05. Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock Remix)
06. Love Spent (Acoustic) (iTunes pre-order only)



Let me know what you think--



No comments: