Thursday, May 27, 2010

After a Heartbreak that made her a dancer, Sophie is Bittersweet and goes Straight to the Heart rather than Make A Scene

Seeing tweets of SEB that she's finally worked on her 4th studio album and that she's releasing its first single next week got me all perked up. With Sophie joining the bandwagon of my favourite female artists releasing their new singles -- this is something great to look forward to musically. I'm a fan of great music and I just want to see my favourite artists to be out there.

When Sophie made a collab with Freemasons: Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer), I loved it instantly. Freemasons never fails to make a hit. As a fan of Euro Pop, they always hit that particular demographic perfectly and gets the listeners addicted to what they have concocted. When I heard the song, I thought that Sophie was bound to release a 4th studio album which she initially mentioned she would in Summer of 2009. Same with Christina Aguilera then. I was excited for both to release new records. I was too excited even there were no obvious materials out yet and all were just mere press releases. But now I could see and hear actual artworks and singles released I'm sure there's no holding back now.

Bittersweet is another track produced by Freemasons and having the Freemasons label in a song is like buying a household name product i.e. Colgate, Frigidaire, Xerox. When I hear Freemasons, it is a given fact that I will highly likely adore the song. Think when they remixed Kylie's The One -- super GV! However, having been produced and written by Freemasons, it does sound very similar to Heartbreak -- to me it seems like a sequel, a continuation of being heartbroken to moving on bittwersweetly. I still think Heartbreak is better than Bittersweet.

The album title was supposedly to be called Make A Scene but when SEB tweeted weeks back that she's changing it to Straight to the Heart, it made me think it sounds like her sophomore album Shoot From the Hip which is a less hot version of her froshie album Read My Lips and only produced very few good tracks. Having that solid proof, I was a bit worried that this fourth album might suffer the same fate. I'm pretty sure she has an artistic reason behind the change and by looks of the producers and collabs she's done with: Calvin Harris, Freemasons, Greg Kurstin, Sneaker Pimps, Armin van Buuren (how exciting!!!), etc. I went from a zero worrying stage mother to a confident beauty title holder in sixty seconds. This is gonna be like Kylie except that it is Sophie.

No comments: