Thursday, May 27, 2010

Christina is Bionic

Having heard of Christina's new single Not Myself Tonight, I was a little worried that it may not be a come back material type. When I saw the artwork I just felt ordinary of it -- nothing fantastic. But as I listened to the song when I was in Boracay, it grew on me. It grew on me so much that I imbibed the song in me during the vacation. I was loving the electro-tribal beat of the song and the lyrics were just very empowering. Which made me think that this song is one of Christina's best work since her Stripped days. Back to Basics was great too, don't get me wrong but Stripped brought her to where she is now and defined her as an artist. Going back to basics makes you realise things and you get empowered by what you can do. Now after 4 years since her last record and nearly 2 years of going hiatus from the scene, she has become Bionic.

The title itself gives so much to think about. What is she going to do now? How will she sound? Who is she working with? Will it work? These kinds of thoughts. I'd say it's very promising given the set of producers and collaborators she's working with. I hear she's worked with Tricky Stewart (Mariah Carey), Goldfrapp (Kylie Minogue), The Neptunes (Madonna amongst others) and some very under-rated artists MIA and Santogold. I'm just too anxiously excited to hear the material coming out June 2010. With the video of Not Myself Tonight looming, which by the way was directed by Hype Williams and we know what he's known for -- so much expectation lies on it.

No comments: