Saturday, September 4, 2010

Album Review: Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 2

After the release of the dance version of Hang With Me, Body Talk pt.2 is set to be released on 06 September 2010. I got the leaked album a full month ahead of its released but decided to do my write-up later a few days prior its official release. I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy!















After watching Hang With Me video and while loving the part 1, I immediately imagined how the part 2 would sound like. Well, it wasn't exactly how I imagined it - it was a bit of a letdown at first. Part 1 established a really high benchmark which admittedly and realistically challenging to top. However, part 2 gives its predecessor justice and still worthy of being a successor. 

The part 2 is more of a fun, clubby record. If part one sounded like a melo-dramatic juvenile trying to get heard and expressing oneself, the successor is more of a let-loose, I-don't-fucking-care-I'm-having-fun kinda record! But if you listen carefully to the lyrics and message of the songs, they express unpolished emotions like anxiety (In My Eyes) and heartbreak (Love Kills) covered in luscious and slick club beats. Filled with electro beats, most of the tracks are for targeted listeners only. The sound is very niched. Good thing I am a part of that niche! This record is an acquired taste. I advice one to listen to it repeatedly and put some intervals (days, hours) in listening to it and include in your set a different genre. I have personally done such and in doing so, I got to appreciate the sound more. Listening to it on a high-definition speaker or headphones helps a lot.

The highlight of this album includes U Should Know Better, a duet with a renowned hip-hop artist Snoop Dogg and of course the dance version of Hang With Me (part 1 contains the acoustic) plus a whole lot of electro-synths rich tracks like Include Me Out, to very noteworthy tracks We Dance To The Beat and  Criminal Intent and Indestructible (acoustic) which is a great slow Robyn song. 

I have slowly gone to love the 8 tracks on this record. They grow on me every time I listen to them. My faves are In My Eyes, Hang With MeCriminal Intent, Indestructible.

Would be a shame if you didn't grab a copy of this fuckin-tastic record. Still worth the moola!

Track list:

01. In My Eyes
02. Include Me Out
03. Hang With Me
04. Love Kills
05. We Dance To The Beat
06. Criminal Intent
07. U Should Know Better (with Snoop Dogg)
08. Indestructible (acoustic)
iTunes Bonus
09. Bad

Let me know your thoughts --


No comments: