Thursday, September 30, 2010

Movie Review: Despicable Me

I got dragged into watching this movie one Friday night when my best friend Jason Tomas though of treating is a movie night (then there was hoping for free dindin as well - but didn't happen)

The whole evening I've been thinking what this movie Despicable Me is all about. I thought it was a horror or thriller type. As my tinkering went on, I remember seeing some positive tweets about it but didn't really paid much attention. During dinner we talked about our goals, where we are in achieving it, milestones in life now that we're on the latter years of our 20s and I couldn't help but segued a couple of questions about the movie. So finally our other friend Martin mentioned a few deets on the movie just to get me shush'd long enough 'til screening time.

After entering the cinema, I realised we're doing a 3D movie. On the movie onset, it only dawned on me that it's an animated movie. So I just sat back and enjoyed this free movie. 

The cast looked interesting... Steve Carrell, Russel Brand to name a few. The yellow things who are the minions of the lead are just the cutest and funniest. One highlight of the movie is the kid Agnes and her fascination about unicorns. For a while, her lines in the movie remained in my thoughts "it's sooo fluffffyyyy I could die" 

This is a story of a villain trying to prove that he is still the best villain in the world. Suffering from the lack of attention/appreciation from his mother when he was a child, he developed this sense of compulsory feeling of needing to be validated. Unintentionally using the innocent orphans for his plans against his rival. Towards the end, he realised he loves the children more than the will to execute his plan. 

Moral of the lesson is that even the most ruthless, evil person can be tamed and changed by love.

What do you think?


No comments: